SACRAMENTO, Calif. – As of Oct. 8, 78 percent of August wildfire survivors in 10 disaster-designated counties have registered for federal aid online or via the FEMA mobile app. Applying online provides the applicant more control over their application and recovery process. By applying online applicants can register when it is convenient for them.
After registering online, applicants can then set up an account that they can access 24 hours a day. Survivors may use this account to update their contact information, see copies of FEMA letters sent to them and upload any documents FEMA needs to complete their applications. Correct contact information is essential for survivors to receive prompt decisions about their applications. Always let FEMA know when the address or phone number on your original application changes.
Registering online or with your FEMA app is easy and available 24 hours a day.
To register online:
1. Go to disasterassistance.gov.
2. Click the blue Apply Online button at the bottom of the page.
3. You will review the disaster survivor application checklist and complete an application to learn if you are eligible to receive disaster assistance.
After registering, you may stay on disasterassistance.gov to create a personal online disaster assistance account to stay in touch with FEMA. To create one:
1. Click the green Check Status button at bottom of disasterassistance.gov.
2. Click the blue Create Account button at bottom of page.
1. Enter your date of birth and Social Security number, which you provided previously when registering for assistance.
2. Answer four security questions that are generated from public record data to verify your identity.
3. Create a user ID and password.
4. Enter an email address. FEMA will send a temporary PIN to it within 24 hours. Follow the instructions in the email to finish creating your account.
For support accessing your account or for lost or forgotten user ID, password or PIN, call the help desk at 1-800-745-0243. It is always open. You will need to provide your registration number and Social Security number.
Help desk staff cannot create your online account nor provide help with your FEMA account or application; direct these inquiries to the FEMA Helpline at 1-800-621-3362. Call this number, too, to register for federal aid consideration if you don’t have a smartphone or online access. The FEMA App can be downloaded for either Apple or Android devices.